Sunday, March 20, 2011

Seitan and Brussels Sprouts with Pantry BBQ Sauce

I was all set to make Seitan & Broccoli with Pantry BBQ Sauce tonight.  I had 3 balls of Savory Seitan in my freezer, so I pulled one out and defrosted it in the microwave.  I had 3 stalks of broccoli that I needed to use ... a day ago.  :::sigh:::  Soooooo, I improvised.  I looked to see what other veggies I had.  I pulled out a pound of Brussels sprouts and about 6 oz. of sliced mushrooms.

I followed the recipe pretty closely, except that I added the Brussels sprouts to the pan after the onion had cooked.  Then, I added the mushrooms after about 5 minutes.  I totally forgot to add the garlic, but it was good without it. Finally, I added the sliced seitan.  Some of it actually browned, but mostly it didn't get real brown, just nice and hot.  I added the sauce and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.  VOILA!  The most delightful dinner.  I did not put mine over rice, but just ate it as is.

I have to say that the BBQ sauce was a very nice compliment for the Brussels sprouts.  In fact, I think this BBQ sauce would be good on a lot of foods, including burgers.  It is very tasty!  This was an excellent choice for dinner.  I'll definitely make this again with any veggie I happen to have on hand.

2 comments:

  1. I am not a brussel sprouts fan but I am glad that you liked it. :-) I do love bbq sauce though.. I make a bbq tofu that we all love..
    Blessings, Debra
    Raw Vegan Diet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only recently discovered that I love fresh Brussels sprouts. I have hated them since I was a kid and my mom boiled the frozen ones and served them all mushy. I roasted some a couple of months ago and have loved them ever since. There are many veggies from my childhood that are horrors for me. I do not care for green peas at all and will pick them out of any kind of food. I don't like beets or Lima beans. I suppose I should give beets another chance as I can't remember ever having fresh beets, but they give me the heebee geebees. :::chuckle::: I've not tried BBQ tofu. That's something I need to fix.

    ReplyDelete