Sunday, September 26, 2010

Naked Vegan Waffles with Homemade Pear Syrup


Sunday morning is big breakfast morning.  After two consecutive weeks of pancakes, today I made waffles.  I chose Naked Vegan Waffles as my new recipe to try.  As you can see from the picture above, the finished waffles look perfect.  They didn't stick to the waffle iron and they were the perfect "chewy" waffle that my sons love.  They also were quite tasty.  The combination of ingredients produced a perfect, plain waffle that didn't have the metallic taste that I tasted in the pancakes.
The recipe called for soy milk, but I don't stock that (ever), so I used coconut milk.  Basically, I used that over the almond milk I had in the fridge only because I wanted to use it up.  I suspect almond milk would have been just as good, if not better, as I feel it adds a twinge of sweetness.  I'll use that next time.  I may also add a bit of vanilla.  The recipe does not call for any vanilla at all, and generally, I like that in my waffles and pancakes.  The batter was a little thick at first, so I added another splash of coconut milk.  
I ladled the batter into the waffle iron after spraying both sides of the waffle plates with olive oil.  I have a double decker waffle iron, so I can make two waffles at the same time, which is very nice considering there are 3 of us in the hour.  The picture above was taken right after the waffle iron beeped that the waffle was done.  I didn't have any problem at all with sticking, and the waffle was perfect.
This was the first waffle, where I didn't carry the batter all the way through to the sides like I should have.  However, it didn't affect the taste.  (Like the Batman plate?  It's a leftover from when my sons were small. :)

This is an excellent, basic waffle recipe.  I couldn't tell any difference between this waffle and those I have made with eggs.  I topped my waffle with some vegan light margarine and some homemade pear syrup that I had made and canned at the end of August.  It made a very tasty breakfast.

2 comments:

  1. All that you need to do is to pour about two cups of the batter into the waffle maker and switch it on. You will find the best of waffles with a slightly hard crust outside and the softest of insides so that when you bite into it you will get the most amazing of textures melting in to your mouth.

    Waffle on a stick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you share your pear syrup recipe? It has been very hard to find a "tried and true" recipe online.

    ReplyDelete