Saturday, September 4, 2010

Homemade Sauerkraut

Beth is in the Eat 2 Live Yahoo! group to which I belong.  A couple of weeks ago, Beth posted a simple recipe for homemade sauerkraut.  It called for 4 cups of shredded cabbage.  So, of course, I bought a head of cabbage not knowing that one head of cabbage will produce at least 16 cups of shredded cabbage.  Each quarter of the cabbage was slightly more than 4 cups.  Who on earth knew?!?!?!  Obviously, I have never bought a head of cabbage and shredded it before.  OK, if I'm honest, I've never bought a head of cabbage before ever.  
So, I made the sauerkraut and will leave it on the counter for 3 days to do whatever it's supposed to.  I've never made it before, so I'm hoping that I actually like it.  I'm going to make stir-fry rice with 1 cup of the cabbage from the Vegan Fire and Spice cookbook.  Now, I just need to figure out what I'm doing with the other 7 cups.  Sheesh!  I found a recipe for a soup that I think looks good on 101 Cookbooks, it's a Simple Farro Bean Stew, although I have no clue if I'll be able to find farro, so I may have to substitute pearled barley for it.  Those are both going to be projects for tomorrow since it's nearly 8PM now.  I'll post pictures of them tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. That looks good! I love sauerkraut, but never tried to make it. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shannon! I'll let you know how the sauerkraut turns out.

    ReplyDelete