Sunday, September 12, 2010

In Search of the Perfect Pancake ...

Pancakes are a Sunday morning staple.  We don't have them every Sunday, but we have them once or twice a month.  Since doing the 21-Day Vegan Kickstart, I have been in search of a great pancake recipe without using eggs.  I have found a few pancake recipes in my favorite cookbooks, but they have corn added (no way for Sunday  morning) or other ingredients (fruit) that won't fly with my sons. 

I found a recipe for Pancakes on page 68 of The Joy of Vegan Baking.  It sounded like a pretty straightforward recipe, the closest I had come across, in my short search, to pancakes made with eggs.  I made the recipe this morning.  (Unfortunately, I did not take pictures of the pancakes.)  The pancakes have a good flavor, but they just seemed very heavy to me.  My oldest son, the pancake judge and ultimate pancake lover of the house, came back for seconds, so these were good, they were just very dense.  My preference is for a much lighter pancake with a flavor leaning toward vanilla (this recipe uses maple syrup or fruit juice ... I used the syrup in mine).  

So, my search has begun and will continue until I find a pancake recipe that fits all of my preferences.  I'm sure I'll find one.  It took me a year or so to perfect the pancakes I used to make.  Hopefully, it won't take that long this time.  Next Sunday, I'm going to make Sweet Potato Waffles on page 52 in Vegan Comfort Food.  I'm going to have these with the Pear Syrup I made at the end of August.  Seems like it will be a good mix of flavors.  I'll be sure to take pictures next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment