Monday, January 10, 2011

High Fiber Bread Machine Bread

I only buy double fiber bread.  I eliminated plain white bread from my grocery list a few years ago.  If I buy white bread for my sons, which is very rare, I buy whole grain white bread.  However, the boys have adjusted to having double fiber bread and actually, the last time I bought the whole grain white bread, my older son remarked on the small size of the slices. 

For years, I've used Eagle Mills All-Purpose Flour made with Ultragrain.  It has 4 grams of protein, the same as regular bread flour, but is made with whole grains and has 9 grams of whole grains per 1/4 cup. It's been a great substitute in breads and muffins.  While I appreciate that I am getting more fiber in my and my sons diet using this flour, I continued to look for recipes that would give me as much fiber per slice as commercially made breads.  The fiber content of the breads I've been purchasing is a minimum of 4 grams fiber per slice to a maximum of 6 grams fiber per slice. 
I ran across a recipe that I think will end up giving us 4 grams of fiber per slice, based on 16 slices per loaf making one big loaf.  It's called High Fiber Bread Machine Bread.  I made a couple of substitutions in the recipe to eliminate the dairy and use the ingredients I had on had versus going out and buying anything. 
I let the bread rise a final time out of the bread maker and then used a cold oven method (that I got out of a bread machine Yahoo! group) to bake the bread.  Here is the recipe ingredients as I made it.

High Fiber Bread Machine Bread

Wet Ingredients
1 cup almond milk (or the milk of your choice)
1 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons of Earth Balance margarine
1 tablespoon of lemon juice

Dry Ingredients
1 cup Eagle Mills Ultragrain flour
2½ cups whole wheat bread flour
3/4 cup organic oat bran
1/4 cup golden flax seeds
1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
4 tablespoons gluten
1 tablespoon instant potato flakes
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

I put the wet ingredients in the bread pan first.  I combined all of the dry ingredients through the potato flakes and placed it in the bread machine on the wet ingredients.  I added the salt to the corner and the yeast to the middle of the flour mixture.  Then I chose the "dough" cycle and pressed start.

After the dough cycle completed, I put the dough into a greased 9" x 5" pan and covered it with a towel and let it rise until it was about an inch above the pan.  Place the pan into a cold oven.  Turn the oven on to 350º F and the timer to 25 minutes.  When the timer goes off, put an aluminum foil tent over the bread and bake for an additional 10 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, can I ask what bread machine you use? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good to me but have no oven so will use bread machine.

    ReplyDelete