Monday, January 17, 2011

Penne Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Mushrooms, and Olives

I was going to make Rotelle with Arugula and Sun-Dried Tomatoes out of the Vegan Italiano cookbook, but I got carried away and made up my own dish.  I did follow the recipe (loosely). 
I had a package of baby Portabella mushrooms that I needed to use.  So, after I chopped a small onion (using my Vidalia Onion Chopper), I cleaned and chopped the mushrooms (in my Vidalia Onion Chopper ... LOVE that thing!), and then sauteed them until they had released their moisture and cooked down a bit.
I chopped 2 to 3 cups of spinach, about half a package of sun-dried tomatoes (mine were not in oil or water, just plain), and added those with 1/2 cup of veggie broth and some spices (oregano and crushed red pepper flakes).  I sauteed this until the spinach had wilted.
Once the spinach had wilted, I added some black olives, quartered.  I had already cooked 8 ounces of whole wheat penne pasta.  I added the pasta to the veggie mixture.  When I dished it up, I added some chopped fresh rosemary and some vegan Parmesan cheese.  I had my dish with a glass of Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc.
I liked the dish, but it's missing something.  I think if it had a touch more olive oil to coat the pasta and more fresh spices.  Sadly, my basil was a day beyond my use.  :::sad face:::  This dish would have done well with the fresh basil.  While the crushed red pepper flakes gave it the tiniest hint of zip, it wasn't enough and I used about 1/2 teaspoon, so I'd up that next time. This is a repeat dish, because basically, I can use whatever I have in my fridge and pantry and end up with a tasty, somewhat healthy dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment