Monday, January 3, 2011

Green Smoothies

It's January 3, 2011.  Was I supposed to make some resolutions?!?!?!  Heck no!  I don't keep them, so why make them?  Life is a continual challenge to change and improve things.  I don't need the added pressure of making a list of things that I resolve to change in 2011 and then have to deal with the failure of not doing them.  Besides, when I made resolutions, never did I do a "year in review" to see if I did everything that was on the list.  I have a list of things to be done, no doubt.  But, it's a revolving list that I keep.  As I accomplish some and they drop off and there are new ones to add.
Today was the day that I had my first green smoothie made with kale.  It's not because I have a huge resolution to eat healthier or drink smoothies.  More so, I had one as I belong to a Vitamix group on Yahoo! and felt guilty about never using my Vitamix.  Plus, I had bought some kale specifically for green smoothies and had not used it.  

So, I threw some kale (minus the center stem), a banana, a Fuji apple, a tablespoon of flaxseed, and about a cup of water into the Vitamix and let it rip.  It was a disgusting lime/pea green color, and it smelled horrible.  (I cannot get used to the grassy smell of these things.)  But, the taste was good.  I was sure I would not like it or it wouldn't be sweet enough or would need some seasoning, but it didn't.  It was simple, slightly sweet, and pretty good tasting.  The kale didn't have a strong flavor in the smoothie, which is what I feared would happen.  I'll have this one again.

3 comments:

  1. If you like berries - try adding some frozen ones- any kind to your mix. I find I much prefer the taste with the berries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always put some frozen pineapple in with my kale/parsley along with a banana and the other stuff. YUMMY!!! My girls (5 & 7) even drink them. They like me to add some blueberries too...although it then turns from GREEN to PURPLE...but hey...it is still CHOCK full of Kale. :-) Oh, and don't leave out that center stem of the kale...my little kitchen blender will take care of that with no problem so I'm sure your vitamix will also!!!
    Happy Smoothie-ing~
    Blessings,
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips. I am trying to get used to the green smoothies as my breakfast. I'll definitely try the suggestions. Lori

    ReplyDelete