Tuesday, January 11, 2011

New Year Noodle Soup

I finally made New Year Noodle Soup tonight. I've been wanting to make this since New Year's Day, but needed to grab a few ingredients.  It snowed all day here in Chicago, but I braved the weather about 2 PM today to go to Dominick's and grab some fresh dill, cilantro, yellow split peas, and a salad for lunch. :)
The recipe calls for borlotti beans.  After some research, I found out these are cranberry beans.  A variety of white beans can be substituted for them (I couldn't find borlotti beans on this short snowy notice). I chose Great Northern beans.  I was using canned, so I rinsed them and just used 1½ cups of the Great Northern Beans and 2 cups of garbanzo beans, since I have those in my freezer from the last time I made them. :)  I did find the yellow split peas and used those.  Also, I used a Serrano pepper.  The soup is not spicy at all, so that little pepper added only flavor, no heat.
I chopped up the spinach and dill while the split peas simmered.  It took just a few minutes for the other beans to warm, and then another 7 minutes for the noodles to cook to al dente.
Then, it was time to dish up the soup and enjoy it.  This is a very mild soup.  It reminds me of chicken noodle, but it has a slightly creamier flavor (after adding the Tofutti sour cream).  It's definitely a great soup to each on a cold, snowy, winter day in Chicago.

1 comment:

  1. It looks and sounds wonderful! I will definitely try it soon! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete