Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tomato and Mushroom Calzone

Tonight, I made calzones for dinner.  My sons had non-vegan calzones, but mine was totally vegan.  I used pre-made whole grain pizza dough from Whole Foods and divided it into four portions.  I made my sons each a calzone and then made an extra one with just pasta sauce, herbs, and mixed cheeses for them for dinner.  
For my calzone, I diced a tomato and some mushrooms.  I spread some tomato, basil, and garlic sauce on the dough.  I sprinkled some vegan Parmesan on the sauce.  Next, I added the diced tomato and mushrooms.  I sprinkled some oregano and basil on top of the veggies.  Finally, I shredded some Follow Your Heart mozzarella on top of the veggies and herbs.  I baked it at 400º for 10 minutes, then turned the calzone around on the pan to make sure it wasn't sticking, and baked it another 10 minutes.  It was a light, fresh tasting calzone.  It wasn't overloaded with cheese, fat, or calories.  

Calzones are not something I make on a regular basis, but they were a nice change of pace.  The preparation takes a bit of time, but once the calzones are put together, it's a quick 20 minutes to chow time.  This was a nice early week dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment