Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Linguine with Mushrooms, Onions, Heirloom Tomato, and Alfredo Sauce

Tonight's dinner was sauteed mushrooms, onion, and heirloom tomato in the Alfredo sauce recipe from the Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Foods cookbook.  The cookbook has two Alfredo sauce recipes.  I used the tofu based recipe as I had a package of silken tofu I had to use up.  I didn't want plain pasta and Alfredo sauce, so I decided to use a few things I had on hand.
My first step was to make the Alfredo sauce, which was quick and easy in the blender.  I wanted it to be ready and waiting to put into the pan after the veggies had sauteed.
I chopped an orange heirloom tomato that I had on hand.  It was very flavorful.  I could have eaten the entire thing off of the cutting board.  I resisted.  :::smile:::
Next, I sauteed the mushrooms and chopped onion until they were soft and full of flavor.  I added the tomato to the pan and sauteed it for a minute or two more.  I didn't saute the tomato too long as I wanted it to retain some firmness.  I poured in the Alfredo sauce and let it simmer a couple of minutes to warm the sauce.
After the sauce had warmed, I added the cooked linguine to the pan.  I let it simmer for just another minute and then, I dished up a bowl and enjoyed it.
All in all, I liked the Alfredo Sauce dish.  It's rich, so it's not something I'll eat frequently, but it would be nice for a holiday or special occasion with a nice slice of garlic bread (unfortunately, I didn't have any) and a nice glass of wine.


No comments:

Post a Comment