Sunday, September 19, 2010

No Fail Buttermilk Pancakes

Today was my second attempt at making vegan pancakes.  This time, I used the recipe for No Fail "Buttermilk" Pancakes from the Just the Food blog.  These were a HUGE improvement from last week's attempt.
The pancakes were definitely lighter and cooked to a golden brown. There was just something about the flavor that didn't taste right.  There were a couple of things that I did differently that could have made a difference.  
First, instead of vanilla soy milk, I used original coconut milk (from a carton, not a can).  I added a tablespoon of vanilla to try to compensate for not having vanilla flavored milk, but I don't think that would have made a huge difference.  Perhaps it would have been better if I had used the almond milk I have.  Almond milk is my favorite, I just wanted to use up the coconut milk I had.  Second, I only had Ener-G Egg Replacer and quite frankly, I've never used it before so I don't know if it has a "taste."  There was much less baking powder in the pancakes than last week, so that was good, but there was still a metallic type of taste that I couldn't identify.  It was a new taste to me.
The cakes cooked up nicely.  I did try to turn one too soon, which made it stick slightly.  But after that first attempt, I let the pancakes bubble up pretty well before turning and there was no more sticking problems.  I just flipped that undercooked one again to let it brown a bit more and it was perfect.
The end result was good overall.  I like the recipe.  I just need to figure out why it had that metallic taste.  I don't usually buy soy milk, but I will buy some vanilla soy milk to keep on hand for baking and see if that makes a difference.  I'll also try another egg replacer.

Next week, I'll take a break from pancakes.  There's actually a recipe that I want to try in the American Vegan Kitchen cookbook called Any Day French Toast with Sweet Spread.  I've also read great reviews about the Sweet and Crunchy French Toast in the same cookbook.  Still on my list is the Sweet Potato Waffles recipe in Vegan Comfort Foods.  My son's like to mix it up, so I will next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment