Sunday, March 13, 2011

Cabbage "Noodle" Soup

Cabbage is 39¢ a pound this week.  That irritates me as I JUST bought a head of cabbage last week for 99¢ a pound.  :::sigh:::  Although I had not used the cabbage I bought last week, I bought another head of cabbage.  That means, I have a cabbage backlog that needs to be used.  So, I decided to make Susan Voisin's Cabbage "Noodle" Soup today.
The recipe is easy to follow and relatively quick to pull together.  I sauteed a Mirepoix until the onion was soft.  Then I added water, spices, cabbage, and chick peas.  I doubled the cabbage and used ½ head versus the ¼ head in the recipe.  I also increased the water by 2 cups.  Finally, I added 1 teaspoon of No-Chicken flavor Better Than Bouillon.  I covered this and let it simmer about 45 minutes until the veggies were tender.  Then I added the remaining ingredients.
VOILA!  I have a pot of very healthy soup that has less than 120 calories.  I can eat this without guilt.  The next time I make this, if I double the cabbage, I'll be doubling the chick peas as well.  Chick peas are my absolutely #1 bean.  LOVE THEM!  So do my dogs.  They hang out in the kitchen and I toss them chick peas for a healthy and low calorie doggie snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment