Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Any Other Kind of Veggies

It's snowing in Chicago.  It's snowing A LOT!  The forecasters have said repeatedly, we will get around 20" of snow overnight.  The snow started, in earnest, around 2:30 PM or 2:45 PM.  Our office closed an hour and a half early.  Since I'm the closing manager for the claim department today, I closed the office at 3:30 PM.  By 3:00 PM, the 4 lane road I can see out of my office window was bumper-to-bumper, stop-and-go traffic that was backed up at least a mile, if not more.  Good thing I went to the grocery store yesterday as I was NOT stopping at it tonight on my way home.  I did make good use of the blizzard.  I used the snow to fast-chill my wine so I could enjoy a glass with my veggies...and, I did! :)
To give you a comparison, I went in for half day today as I had to take my girl, Kobe Bean, to the vet for a check on her cast from her surgery last Friday for a partial tear in her anterior crucial ligament (back left knee).  Kobe is doing well.  :::big smile:::  She has to wear her cast until next Monday when both the stitches and the cast will be removed.  But, that's not my point.  I left my house to go into the office at 12:55 PM and arrived at the office at 1:30 PM, so it took me 35 minutes to get to work.  It took me an hour and a half to come home after I closed the office, two hours later.  Thank goodness my boss announced that our office will be closed tomorrow so I don't have to even consider going in or taking a vacation day.
Tonight, I knew I HAD to cook my Brussels sprouts, cabbage, and grape tomatoes.  I was supposed to cook them before, but alas, I didn't.  I had found a recipe for Brussels Sprouts Heaven on VegWeb.com. It gave me the idea to roast the three veggies together, an idea that would never have occurred to me.  But, the recipe didn't have any zip to it.  So, I ended up creating my own spice blend and tossing the veggies in it.  I roasted them for about 30 minutes at 400º F.  They turned out YUMMY!  Although I'll admit, I L-O-V-E Brussels sprouts, especially roasted, so anything with roasted Brussels sprouts in it is going to be a winner with me.
Here is what I threw together for the spice coating.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Any Other Kind of Veggies

3 tablespoons EVOO
1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh is best, but in a pinch, I use reconstituted)
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon Spike seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (I'm sure fresh would have been better)
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon red cayenne pepper

Mix together and drizzle over veggies.  Stir veggies to thoroughly coat and distribute spices.  Roast at 400ºF for 20 minutes.  Take out and stir veggies.  Return to oven and roast another 30 minutes.

I will definitely be using this again to make more roasted veggies.  I may add some dried jalapeno pepper flakes next time.  This is definitely a repeat dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment