Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Only Oatmeal

This morning, I wanted a healthy and tasty breakfast.  While I was scrolling through some recipes on VegWeb.com, The Only Oatmeal was highlighted on the left margin.  The recipe was simple enough and was slightly different than my regular oatmeal.  I decided to make it.
I used original flavor Craisins for my fruit.  It was a good choice.  I also used almond extract, versus vanilla, but I think either would have been great.  I added the almond extract to the oatmeal and fruit before I cooked it.  
I topped the oatmeal with unsweetened almond milk (vanilla flavor) and with some blueberry jam that I had made and canned last August.  It was a nice compliment to the Craisins and oatmeal.  I completely spaced off adding any nuts, so I didn't have that on my oatmeal, but honestly, I didn't miss the nuts.  I didn't realize I had forgotten them until I started to compose this blog.  

This is a great oatmeal recipe.  Next time I make it, I think I'll use vanilla extract, dried tropical fruit (pineapple, mango, etc.), and some homemade pear jam that I made and canned.  Maybe when I make that, I'll remember to throw in a few walnuts.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment