Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Portobello Philly Cheese Steaks

Tonight, I was determined to use the two remaining portobello mushrooms that I had.  It was either use them or toss them tomorrow.  So, I decided to make Portobello Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches.  I have never made them using mushrooms.  OK, OK, I've never made them at all.  I combined a couple of recipes that I found taking a bit from one and another ingredient from the other.  I used a recipe from VegWeb.com called Portobello Cheese-Steaks and one from MealsMatter.org called Portobello "Philly Cheese Steak" Sandwich.
I sliced the onions thin and sauteed them in some olive oil until they were starting to caramelize.  Then I added thinly sliced mushroom cap and some spices and cooked it until the mushroom was soft.  I added some Braggs, vegan Worcestershire sauce, and a bit of Balsamic Vinegar.  After that simmered for about a minute, I sprinkled the mixture with flour and added some mushroom broth and let it cook until the sauce thickened.  Overall, it was very good.  I think I'll leave the vinegar out next time, though, as I thought the flavor was too predominant.  I ate mine on a high fiber tortilla (11 grams of fiber) instead of a roll, but that's because I forgot to pick some up at the store.  I topped it with some shredded vegan cheese and some sliced pepperoncini to add a little kick.
Portobello Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches

2 portobello caps, thinly sliced
1 medium to large onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 to 3 teaspoons oregano (dried)
1/2 teaspoon or so black pepper (didn't measure, so this is a guess)
flour to coat veggies (1 to 2 tablespoons)
2 teaspoons Braggs or lower sodium Soy Sauce
2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
1½ teaspoons Balsamic vinegar (I'll leave out next time)
1/2 to 2/3 cup mushroom broth
shredded vegan cheese (your favorite)
pepperoncini peppers

Saute onion in olive oil until it's soft and starting to brown; add garlic and sliced mushroom.  Sprinkle with the oregano and black pepper.  Saute until mushroom is soft, stirring frequently.

Sprinkle mushroom/onion mixture with flour, stir to coat.  Add broth, Braggs, Worcestershire sauce, and vinegar (if using).  Simmer until broth has thickened.  Serve on French rolls, whole wheat bread, or pitas.  Top with shredded vegan cheese of your choice and peppers.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment