Monday, November 1, 2010

Vegan MOFO - Day 1 - Purple Smoothie

I started out today with good intentions of having a good breakfast, salad for lunch, and something for dinner (leftover burger and sweet potatoes maybe).  I ended up skipping breakfast (got caught up at work) and then having  a late lunch at 2:30PM, but I did have a salad ... a HUGE salad.  Of course, I wasn't very hungry when I got home.  So, I sat here reading blogs and email until I decided that I should have something.

My intention was to make a fruit frozen concoction in my new Vitamix.  :)  BUT, I only have strawberries and blueberries in the freezer.  I needed more strawberries than what I had and I just didn't think blueberries would be a great choice to mix with almond milk.  So, I decided to make another green smoothie.  Only this smoothie did not turn out green.  It kind of looks like oil sludge in my glass.
I mixed about 1/2 cup of almond milk with about 1 1/2 cups of frozen blueberries.  I added one small banana, a couple of cups of spinach, and 1 tablespoon of flaxseed.  And then, I let the Vitamix do its thing.
From the top with a bright flash, the smoothie does look purple.  I definitely see it in the above picture.  It looks very nice.  But, when I view it just regular in the glass without the bright light, it looks like oil sludge.
PLUS, I didn't put enough liquid in the Vitamix, so it's more like a pudding consistency versus a smoothie consistency, and let me tell you, it's not working that well with the skinny little straws I have.  bah!  The taste is good.  I think I can get used to the "green" taste in them.  All of the posts I've read about green smoothies is that once you put the fruit in, you can't taste the greens much.  I think for me, the problem is I can smell them before I ever taste the smoothie, so once I smell them, I can taste them.  They are OK.  I'll just keep searching for the perfect smoothie.  This may be my theme for the month ... searching for the perfect smoothie.  I'd like to start having them as breakfast on a few days per week.  Having them later in the day is working for me, too.

1 comment: