Monday, November 22, 2010

Crunchy Sweet Brussels Sprout Salad

First, let me start out by saying I have HATED Brussels sprouts since I was a young kid.  My mom used to get the frozen kind and boil them and put butter on them and make me sit at the table until I ate them.  They were awful to me and I haven't had a Brussels sprout in 30 years.  So, when I started eating vegetarian and now vegan, I couldn't believe how many people raved about this vegetable.  Tonight is also the first time I have ever prepared fresh Brussel sprouts or any Brussels sprouts for that matter.

I was watching the Food Network today and actually saw two different recipes.  One was for Roasted Brussels Sprouts by Ina Garten, which I did not make tonight but definitely will another night.  The other was for Crunchy Sweet Brussels Sprout Salad by Sunny Anderson.  This is an excellent dish.
I shredded the Brussels sprouts, sprinkled them with nutmeg, sea salt, and pepper, and then sauteed them in olive oil for about 5 minutes.  That was longer than the recipe stated, but the Brussels sprouts still have a crunch to some slices, so they aren't overcooked.  I turned off the burner and then added half cup of chopped walnuts and half cup of pomegranate flavored craisins.  Yes, they are supposed to be plain dried cranberries, but the pomegranate flavor was open as I've been using them in my salads, so I used them.   I also have some cherry flavored craisins and I think it would be good with those, too.
The end result was a wonderfully seasoned and delicious vegetable dish.  This made a full pan of Brussels sprouts.  I took the picture after I had put a generous serving in a dish to photo and then eat.  (And I did!)  I've discovered that I really enjoy eating Brussels sprouts and I will be making this dish and other Brussels sprouts dishes in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment