Sunday, October 31, 2010

All-American Incrediburgers and Roasted Sweet Potato and Yam


Tonight I made All-American Incrediburgers from the American Vegan Kitchen cookbook.  You can find the recipe here.  This is my second time making these burgers.  I like them because they freeze well and make a quick dinner when I don't feel like cooking or my sons are having burgers for dinner.  I cooked my Incrediburger in my Rocket Grill.  You know, the thing with the parchment paper pockets.  You put your food in the pocket and hang it in the grill.  The grill closes around it and it cooks vertically.  After your food is cooked, you throw away the parchment paper pocket and there is absolutely NO CLEAN-UP.  :)  No messy grill plate, no messy fry pan, no baking sheet ... nothing. And no, I do NOT work for Sunbeam. :)  I just love this grill.  I just bought 108 more bags for it.  It cooks my Incrediburgers in 3 minutes, complete with perfect grill marks. 
So, instead of salad or regular potatoes, I made a roasted sweet potato and a roasted red garnet yam.  When I was at the grocery store, I bagged up some sweet potatoes.  As I was walking through the rest of the produce department, I saw the yams, so I bought one for comparison.  The sweet potato is a light orange color, while the garnet yam was a deeper orange than the sweet potato and bigger.  I peeled them, cut them in half lengthwise, and then again in slices about 1/4" or so thick.  I sprinkled some salt and pepper on them and then drizzled 2 tablespoons of olive oil on them and tossed them.  Then, I decided I wanted a little more spice, so I sprinkled some chili powder on them.  I baked them at 400º for about 35 or 40 minutes.  They were tasty.  Both the yam and the sweet potato were very good ... a little sweet (naturally) with a little bit of spice.  Definitely a make again dish, although I'll experiment a bit with the spices.  I'd like a terriyaki mix.
Oh, and I used my Vitamix for the first time today.  I ordered it a week ago and it arrived on Thursday, but I didn't get around to unpacking it until today.  I had a green smoothie.  I used a couple of cups of spinach, a cup of almond milk, a tablespoon of ground flax seed, a red plum, a banana, and a few (maybe 10?) frozen strawberries.  I let it blend for 30 seconds or so and then threw in maybe half dozen ice cubes.  It was good ... filling.  Although the entire "green" smoothie is a stretch for me, but I suppose that's just because it's new to me.  I'll keep trying different combinations until I find a few that I really like.  I really want to try just almond milk and frozen fruit for a sorbet type of thing.  There are tons of recipes in the cookbook that came with it.  I want to start experimenting with making my own dressings, too.

I signed up for Vegan MOFO.  Let's see if I post any more than I have been.  One thing ... I made two dozen burgers this weekend and have left over sweet potatoes so I don't need to cook tomorrow.  :)  But I will be checking everyone's blogs.  They are so fun to read and MAN!  I've learned a lot.  It's good.

2 comments:

  1. I love, love, love that you've made these burgers more than once. They look great!

    Happy MoFo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tami ... Thanks! These are my favorite burgers. They are just perfect and taste great on a bun with burger condiments. :) Thanks for providing such a great recipe. LOVE IT! :)

    ReplyDelete