Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Moroccan Spinach Lentil Soup with Lemon

I received my copy of The Veganopolis Cookbook on Monday.  I've been carrying it around with me ever since.  I take it back and forth to work and look at the recipes during lunchtime.  OK, OK, sometimes not during lunchtime.  The Bouillabaisse with Rouille on the cover makes my mouth water.  Man, it looks good.  But, it has an extremely long list of ingredients and I wanted to begin with something simpler.  So, I settled on the Moroccan Spinach Lentil Soup with Lemon.
My new Wolfgang Puck VersaCooker arrived today, so today was the perfect day to make the soup.  I sauteed the onions in the olive oil, adding the lemon zest and spices.  Man, it smelled so good.  It looked great, too ... spicy and fragrant.
I added the veggie stock, lentils, and tomatoes.  I didn't have fresh, so I used a can of crushed tomatoes.  The VersaCooker has a built-in timer (it doubles as a slow cooker), so it was great to simmer the soup.  It would actually be great to serve in for a party or crowd.  I stirred the soup about every 5 minutes.  My oldest son wanted his brother to try the soup and tell him if it was spicy.  He's not a spice fan, but his brother is.
I added extra lentils (about 1/4 cup) to finish off the bag, but I also added 8 oz. more of tomatoes.  There is no picture of this dish, but mine is not too "soupy."  Mine is more like a thick lentil dish.  Hmmm ... I don't know if I should have added more water.  Mind you, I don't care that it's not real soupy and even without the extra lentils, I don't think it would have been very soupy.  It is tasty.  I had a little taste before I put the spinach and lemon in it.  The lemon juice definitely added to the flavor and rounded out the taste.  It's definitely a "stick-to-your-ribs" type meal.  I'm going to freeze meal-sized portions of it for future "fast food" dinners.  :::smile:::  This is one dish that I will be making again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment