Monday, May 16, 2011

Hot Sauce-Glazed Tempeh

Yesterday, I surveyed the contents of my refrigerator to see what I needed to use pronto.  I have portobella mushrooms that I still need to make into some delicious dish.  I also found a package of tempeh that needed to be used by May 20, 2011.  Since I have never used tempeh as a main dish, I decided to go for it.

I looked through a dozen cookbooks before deciding on Hot Sauce-Glazed Tempeh in Veganomicon.  (Find the recipe here.  Find the nutritional information here.) I served it with roasted Brussels sprouts and a baked potato with Earth Balance.  I wasn't sure what the tempeh would taste like, but the recipe was very simple.
First I cut the tempeh in half and then I cut each half diagonally to make triangles.  I boiled the tempeh for 10 minutes.  Next, I threw the ingredients together, added the tempeh, and let it marinate while I fixed everything else.  My tempeh isn't as dark as some of the other pictures I've seen, but I think that is because I used chardonnay for the wine instead of a red wine.  Also, I was feeling lazy, so I used reconstituted lemon juice in place of the fresh and 2 teaspoons of garlic powder in place of the crushed garlic cloves.

I grilled the tempeh on an indoor grill that cooks both sides at once for about 7 or 8 minutes.  It was very tasty.  I thoroughly enjoyed tempeh cooked this way.  I had enough left over so I had a quick dinner of tempeh and Brussels sprouts tonight.

I liked this dish so much that when I stopped at Whole Foods to pick up some So Delicious Creamer and Pleasant Morning Buzz coffee, I picked up another package of tempeh.  DEFINITELY, I will be making this again.  I'll also be trying the Smoky Grilled Tempeh in Veganomicon soon.  The recipe is here, but be forewarned that the name of the entry could be considered offensive if you are offended by profanity.  Just look down past the title.  :::smile:::

No comments:

Post a Comment