Monday, September 6, 2010

Day 1 - 21 Day Kickstart - Banana Bread Steel Cut Oats

Today is the first day of the 21-Day Kickstart.  I'm ready for this.  This morning, I am drinking my coffee black.  I only used cream in it (half-n-half), so it was just a matter of not using it.  I don't have any in the house, so that part was easy.  I have tried soy creamers (blech!) and almond milk (it's OK), but I really want to move away from any creamer in it.  So, I'm having my second cuppa joe without creamer and it's good.  I'm sipping it while eating steel cut oats.  I made up my own recipe for today's breakfast (OK it's almost noon, so brunch, whatever!).  :)

I cook my steel cut oats in my rice cooker.  It's a simple rice cooker with only two settings:  warm and cook.  The oats come out perfect every time.

Banana Bread Steel Cut Oats

1/2 cup steel cut oats
1 cup water
1/2 teas. salt
1 teas. cinnamon
1/4 teas. nutmeg
1 to 1 1/2 teas. vanilla
1/4 cup banana chips (if you use fresh banana, add it when the oats have finished cooking)

Threw it all in my rice cooker and hit COOK.  This made enough for 2 servings, so I'm eating half now and the other half is in my fridge for tomorrow's or Wednesday's breakfast.  I poured a splash of regular almond milk on it (but I suspect this would be very good with the vanilla flavor), and a sprinkle of brown sugar (use the sweetener of your choice).  It's very tasty!  I'll be making this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment